Fifth and final rotation: Vis Com

Brief overview: to end up with 2 A3 type and image final outcomes to represent our chosen system.

Problems faced: trying to find found imagery from fashion magazines to relate to my chosen system-language

How I countered the problem: I chose found images that were more conceptually linked to my chosen system rather than directly linked. Eg. I chose images with concentrated patterns to represent the form of language rather than language itself.

Our first task was to create 4 typographic outcomes related to our systems using typefaces provided to us and by using specific techniques for each of the boxes. This was good because it forced me to experiment rather than stick to what I knew would work. Adding just a little bit of colour I felt really enhanced what the word was trying to communicate.
The second task was image based. This meant that we had to find a fashion magazine and create some collages. Again, we were directed in how to complete these tasks in ways that I might not have otherwise manipulated my work resulting in some more visually interesting outcomes.  
We then created 3 2D collages on a large piece of paper to relate to our chosen system. I found this very hard because I wasn’t able to include type in my work and my whole system was essentially about type, but I found lateral ways around this which weren’t necessarily clear in the final outcomes but it enabled me to develop problem solving skills around communication and limited materials.

   
   
We were then asked to create a 3D collage. At first I was very confused about how to make any of my work into a 3D collage. I spent a long time playing around with materials and not being happy with any of the outcomes. In the end I decided to really push myself and try to make a 3D collage without too much prior planning. This meant that my collage developed more as I made it. In the end I was quite pleased with my final outcome, I’d managed to solve a problem and although I don’t think it reflects particularly well of my system I feel that I was able to successfully produce a visually interesting prototype final outcome.

  
Finally, we had to gather all of the work that we had done over the last few days in order to create 2 A3 final pieces. Normally at A Level I would have had a long time to work on something like this so only having a few hours was a real challenge for me. I like to take my time and produce a really refined final outcome but I had to complete,y change my working strategy for this project in order to fulfill the timings of the brief. 
Overall, I was really pleased with my final outcomes considering the limitation of time that I had to complete them in. Again, I don’t think that I best represented my system through my work but I ended up with 2 very visually interesting final outcomes. Although I may not have perfectly fulfilled the brief I am very pleased with how I was able to find ways around problems that I encountered during this rotation.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s